Plans to Re-Open on May 31, 2020 for In-Sanctuary Worship
Approved by WPCC Board
May 19, 2020
These guidelines were compiled after meeting with staff and leaders of the church. This plan will be reviewed weekly and adjusted as needed.
Proposed Date for Re-Opening is May 31, 2020
- Will continue to follow city/state guidelines which may change in the coming weeks.
- Studies show (under normal circumstances) after 6 weeks of not attending church, people have an exceedingly difficult time returning. Under the CoVid-19 pandemic, we will have already had 10 weeks of virtual services by 5/31/2020.
- We understand that not everyone is ready for this step, especially those who may be at higher risk. We encourage these people to exercise greater caution.
- Anyone not feeling well is encouraged to stay home.
- Hand Sanitizer will be available throughout the building.
- Virtual Services will be live streamed in its entirety beginning at 9am. (Note time change)
- Message transcripts will continue being mailed to those requesting.
- There will not be any fellowship gathering with coffee and doughnuts in Social Hall. Sunday School Classes may meet but staff needs to know which rooms have been used so thorough cleaning can be accomplished.
- Based on current occupancy restrictions, there is a limit of 62 people in the seating area of the sanctuary.
- Pews, door handles, restrooms, etc. will be cleaned and sanitized prior to doors opening at 8:30 am.
- Same areas will be cleaned between services. (2-3 people will be needed to assist our custodian.)
- There will be two identical services at 9:00 and 11:00 am. Time change is due to the need to clean thoroughly between services.
- Having two identical services might assist us with having a more balanced attendance.
- Doors will open 30 minutes prior to each scheduled worship service.
- No Bulletins/Handouts. Some announcements will be verbal, but all others will be on screen.
- 6 Feet Social Distancing will be encouraged. Pews will have signs to indicate perimeters. Every other row of pews will be unavailable. In addition to marking pews that are NOT to be used, hymnals, Bibles, and other pew-rack resources will be removed from those rows.
- Families can sit together in same pew
- Some chairs will be set up in the Friendship Area, if needed, and the Social Hall will be used as additional worship space, if needed. (Note: Social Hall occupancy is also limited to 62 people.)
- Elders/Deacons will assist with dismissing by rows, starting in back. This will help us with staying at the recommended 6 feet apart social distancing. While it is understandable people will want to visit, we are encouraging people to exit immediately. Note: We do not want Elders/Deacons to feel as if they are hallway monitors.
- Will encourage people to bring their own Bibles. If pew Bibles are used, people will be instructed to leave the Bibles in the pews (not back in rack) so we will know which ones to disinfect.
- We will encourage no physical contact-i.e. handshaking/hugging/elbow bumps.
- Masks will not be provided and considered optional.
- We will continue observing The Lord’s Supper at each service. There will not be elder’s prayers for at least the first few weeks.
- Worshippers will be encouraged to practice social distancing as they come down both sides of the center aisle and this includes side by side distancing.
- A gloved server will place a piece of bread in the worshiper's hand.
- A second gloved server will place an individual cup on the communion table one person at a time. Worshippers will then partake, and a trash receptacle will be nearby for disposing of cups.
- Servers needed: 4 in sanctuary and 2 in Social Hall-if needed.
- Servers will then serve communion to any who were unable to come forward.
- All communion bread will be gluten free.
- Two-cup communion will be provided to Tech crew and musicians so they will not be served.
- Cleaning procedure has been provided to those who prepare communion.
- Will sit on Chancel throughout service.
- Will be supplied communion by placing both juice and cracker in double cup and placed on baptistry wall.
- Will be assigned own mic and if that is not possible, they will be wiped down after each service.
- Are encouraged to attend with their family. Please keep your child home if feverish, coughing, runny nose, etc.
- No nursery will be provided at either service.
- Social Distancing will be stressed with the children who attend “Children’s Time” during both services. Parents will be the ones who decide if their child(ren) can follow these guidelines. All children are welcome to remain in sanctuary if parent chooses.
- Extra adults will assist with “Children’s Time”
- Drop off and pick up will remain the same as in past.