SMALL GROUP QUESTIONS
May 20, 2018
Acts 1:12-14, 2 (excerpts)
Get To Know You
1) Have you had a powerful experience that you’ve found difficult to describe? What was it?
Understanding the difficulty, how would you describe it?
Into the Text
2) Read Acts 2:1-4. Try to imagine being in that room in those moments. How would you have reacted?
3) Read Acts 2:5-6. These verses describe speaking in different tongues. Is this the same as the gift of “speaking in different kinds of tongues” that Paul describes in 1 Corinthians 12:10? If not, how are they different?
4) Read Acts 2:14, 22-24, 32-36. This is a bold speech by Peter. What enabled him to speak so powerfully, given what we see in Peter in the gospels? Was God’s Spirit present with Peter prior to the day of Pentecost? If yes, what changed?
5) Think of a speaker you have heard who stands out to you. What qualities does that speaker have such that he/she stands out to you?
6) Read Acts 2:42-47. Is it possible for faith communities today to exist in the same ways as the faith community described in these verses? If no, why not?
7) Have you ever been part of a faith community that functions in one (or more) of the ways described in these verses?
8) What is one thing our congregation might change in order to become more like the faith community described in Acts 2:42-47?
9) What is one thing you might do as an individual believer to be better prepared to receive God’s presence and power?